Live music marries great sound with engaging visuals, and can make an event memorable, inject fun and help pull a theme together. Whether it’s for a wedding, 50th birthday party or maybe a product launch, live entertainment is in demand.
Booking entertainment can be daunting, especially if you have never done it before. But fear not. Our mini-guide gives you all the information you need to find and book a band quickly and safely.
Have a read and head to our search to browse hundreds of artists.
Step 1: What style of entertainment do you want?
Are you looking for a jazz, swing, funk or maybe a tribute band? Knowing this beforehand will make your search more efficient. If your event is themed, niche entertainment can help you accentuate it, or perhaps you’re a die-hard Bond enthusiast, or a fan of ragtime tunes.
Having decided on the style you would like there are still a few things to take into consideration before you start your search. Get in touch with your venue about the following:
- Is there a dedicated space for the band, and how big is it? Will it fit a 3-piece, 5-piece or maybe even a 9-piece band?
- Is there a changing room for the band? This gives the entertainers somewhere to get ready, and means they don’t have to hang out in the main venue before going on stage. They may also have a few hours of travelling behind them, so it’s in your and the band’s best interest that they can freshen up a bit.
- Does the venue have any constraints like sound limiters? A sound limiter is a device installed to control the level of sound, and the band needs to know the details of the venue’s specific sound limiter.
- Is there a loading area so the band can quickly and easily get their gear into the venue? Is there somewhere they can park afterwards?
- What level of Public Liability Insurance (PLI) is required and do they need any documentation from the band? The standard level is between £1m and £5m, but some venues might ask for up to £10m. All Headliner acts are required to have PLI as part of the quality screening they undergo when joining.
Step 2: Choosing and booking the perfect act
You now have enough information to start looking for the perfect entertainment. Go to the Headliner search and include the date of your event. There are lots of other filters for you to choose from. To find a selection of acts and decide on your favourite, we recommend you do the following:
- Listen to their audio tracks. This might be obvious, but the most important thing should come first.
- Look at their videos. You want to make sure that they can deliver visually too. This can also be a good way of checking how they perform live. Although you can ask, actually seeing the act live can prove tricky as many function bands play at private and corporate events only.
- Look at their pictures. As with point no. 2, presentation is important and you want to make sure that they look the part.
When you have decided on the act you want it’s time to secure them! Send them an enquiry with some details of your event and the act will accept your booking within 48 hours (but usually much faster). You can discuss details with them, such as PA systems, potential travel costs (if it’s very far) and so on, before finalising the booking. Once you are both happy you can secure the booking and sit back and relax! Well done.
All payments go through our secure on-site system, and the act receives the payment two working days after they have performed at your event.
Step 3: Keep in Touch
Good news, most of the hard work is now officially over! Do stay in touch though. If you suddenly think of additional questions for the act you can message them at any point.